HOW I UNDO DAMAGE FROM MY DESK JOB
I'm like many of you. Working an 8 hour shift in a cubicle. Ever stop to notice how tense your muscles get when new work gets put on your plate? Or you're so wrapped up in work, you forget to take a break? That was me. The moment I became aware of the damage that a sedentary job can cause, was the exact moment where I decided to change my behavior and habits at work. I searched more into and found this really interesting article. It's crazy to think how a simple desk job can lead into some real long term illnesses.
HABITS I CHANGED AT WORK:
- SET AN ALARM FOR "BREAK TIME" I use this time to walk around my work grounds and get fresh air. This works great to get the blood flowing again.
- TAKE THE LONG WAY. Take another route to the printer or go to the restroom that's a bit further. Even choose a parking spot where you have to walk more (if it's safe).
- STRETCH. Implement stretching into your work day. Stretch your neck, your hands & wrists, your back, ANYTHING! Carpal Tunnel is caused by the repetitive motions of the hands and wrists (typing and using the mouse). We can avoid this by stretching your hands and wrists!
WHAT I DO AFTER WORK
I work out! I release all the tension and stress from my body immediately after work. It's so important I get the blood flowing again in my body. If you can't do that, no problem! Just make sure you stay active.
1. FOAM ROLL. I've been having really bad neck and back pains lately. The first thing I do when I come home from work is foam roll. I foam roll everything from my back to my hip flexors. Sitting all day can lead to more than just tight hip flexors, it can lead to spinal problems and back pain.
2. HIP STRETCHES. Sitting all day can lead to tight hips due to the limited range of motion. It's important to concentrate on poses that open up the hips and get the blood circulating again. Try crescent lunges, pigeon poses, fire hydrants, triangle stretches!
3. DOWNWARD DOGS. I'm stressing this exercise the most because this is the one that really gets back to normal. Downward dog pose has numerous benefits like it relieves headaches & back pain. It also calms the brain and helps relieve stress and mild depression. It energizes the body which helps after a long day at work. It stretches the shoulders, hamstrings & calves.
Remember to keep moving throughout the day! I hope this helps, and please help your girl out & share if you do anything else to undo damage from work. Would love to hear it!