6 HELPFUL LEG DAY TIPS
Leg day is tough. I love it and dread it at the same time. If you prepare yourself before and after your workout, I know you'll get stronger with less chances of injuring yourself!
1. EAT RIGHT
- I like to carb up at least a day before leg day
- I still EAT HEALTHY or try to!
- I focus on COMPLEX CARBS: They take longer to digest and they help fuel your energy needs. Some examples: Oatmeal (steel cut), sweet potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, couscous
- My goal is to eat 5-6 small meals a day. My body needs a few meals before I start working out on the legs, which leads me to point 2!
2. TIME YOUR WORK OUTS RIGHT
- I personally have no energy in the mornings for leg day
- Even when I had a good breakfast, I feel like my body hasn't fully digest to get the energy it needs.
- I always do leg day in the afternoon. I've had already a few meals in me!
- Just work out when you have the most energy to! It'll be a trial and error process, but it'll be worth it.
3. SWITCH UP YOUR ROUTINES
- I say this for EVERYTHING! Same old routine will do NOTHING for you.
- Give your muscles a NEW REASON TO GROW. Don't hit a plateau like I did –READ HERE
- The smallest change can add a challenge! For example: Squatting with various foot positions-straight, inward & outward or one legged squat press to concentrate on certain muscles.
4. ADD INTENSITY
- I like to add a secondary muscle to challenge myself for leg day–Just to give my legs a break while still working on something else!
- For example: Performing a double single arm squat cleans which gives my whole body a wake up call.
- I also work out on abs as well since they are probably warmed up from doing squats (remember to keep that tummy tight while squatting!)
5. SPLIT UP YOUR WORK OUTS
- Train legs twice a week by splitting your work outs!
- For example: Day 1 - Quads/Calvs Day 2 - Glutes/Hammies
- You'll be able to isolate muscles and really focus on your form and range of motion.
6. RECOVER THE RIGHT WAY
- Right after your work out, drink/eat some protein within an hour after your work out.
- Rest up for at least 48 hours after your leg day before doing more legs!
- DO NOT DO cardio after leg day! My friends always say if you can and still want to do cardio after leg day, you didn't work out hard enough.
- You're going to be TIRED after leg day. Try planning it right before your REST day. If you can't take a rest day, then drink your BCAAS!
- Foam roll, stretch and yoga can help you recover faster as well.
I hope this helps you! May the booty get fatter and your tummy get flatter. AMEN.